5 Magical Secrets to Better Landing Pages
By Mary D’Alatri
Director of Account Services, ion interactive
As both an optimization expert and an educator, it’s exciting to see marketers becoming more experienced and adventurous in what they’re doing with their landing experiences. But, this is a field that’s constantly evolving and because of that, there are always new secrets to be discovered and shared.
Conversion optimization is rapidly becoming a part of every-day marketing, however there is often still a shroud of mystery surrounding what techniques to deploy and when. While many marketers know landing page optimization needs strategy. Many also believe a bit of magic is helpful as well. And I feel a bit like the magician giving away my favorite, best-kept secrets!
My session will unveil 25 of the best-kept landing page secrets. From targeting, to testing, and common mistakes to avoid, this session will hit on something for everyone. In fact, we guarantee that you’ll walk away with at least a handful of useful tips and tricks. As a sneak peak, below is a list of five of my favorite landing page secrets.
1) Specificity can be a “game changer”: Most people are already building landing experiences for specific traffic sources, such as email or PPC. However, few people are taking it to the next level, and that’s where some real conversion lifters live. What about unique experiences for each of your PPC campaigns & adgroups, geographical regions, marketing offers, or even repeat visitors?
2) Let your visitors self segment: Self-segmentation not only provides you important information about your visitors, but it allows them to receive a more relevant experience based on how they identify themselves. If you do segmentation right, there is no need to be concerned about the extra click you’re asking your visitor to make. Many marketers let this fear of an extra click dissuade them from using segmentation and they’re potentially leaving a lot of conversions on the table.
3) Testing happens in cycles: Make sure your testing methodology accounts for both innovative and iterative testing. Big changes (innovations) help you find those diamonds in the rough but it’s the small changes (iterations) that really make it shine!
4) Identify what matters most to you: Optimizing your landing experiences isn’t always just about conversions. In fact, sometimes it’s not about conversions at all. It’s important that you identify the metrics that matter. Is it time on site, average order value, downloads, or video views? Make sure you’re measuring success in a way that resonates with your business.
5) Shrug off your poor performers: One of my favorite adages is that a losing experience is never a losing test. Even if your awesome new page has dismal conversions, you’ve still gained valuable insights into the way your visitors behave and what’s important to them. The secret here is to use those insights in your next test and increase your chances of having a winner.
In reality, conversion optimization isn’t about being a magician (even though I would like a magic wand). Rather, it’s really about being a sleuth, and as any good sleuth you must always be searching to discover a new secret and turn it into your best practice. This session will serve as on opportunity for you to gather 25 of the best tips and strategies for high performance landing pages.
About the Author
Mary D’Alatri leads ion’s client services team and is responsible for client strategy and satisfaction. Mary brings a strong understanding of the online space and the opportunities it brings to marketers.
Prior to joining the ion team, Mary served as the Director of Client Services and Development for an online marketing agency focusing on Search Engine Optimization and Paid Search. This has given her extensive knowledge of the entire online buying cycle and how to create an impactful integrated marketing plan. She has been a frequent speaker at leading industry events and has a passion for client education and satisfaction.
See Mary Live!
Mary will be sharing 25 landing page optimization tactics at Conversion Conference Fort Lauderdale on October 9-10. Join Mary in her session on “The Definitive Guide to Landing Page Best Practices.” See the full agenda and read more about this session. You can also follow Mary on Twitter for some pre-conference networking.
Save $100 when you register with Mary’s discount code FL12512. Only 3 days away – Go get your Conversion Conference pass now!